At Melton we have devised the Design Technology curriculum for our Melton children. Our intention is that every pupil is inspired by using their increasing knowledge alongside creative and imaginative skills to plan, make and evaluate products that could be used in real-life contexts in school and at home. We encourage all our children to be practical and develop their problem-solving ability to consider a wide range of solutions to challenging tasks.
Coverage will meet statutory requirements but will also inspire our learners and ensure skills and competences continue to be developed alongside knowledge and understanding. We aim to do this through a range of styles such as independent and class activities. Each teaching sequence will ensure each part of the design process (design, make, evaluate and technical knowledge) is followed to ensure children understand the skills needed to design a product.
- The Design Technology curriculum will allow children to design and make real products that they are responsible for and provide them with the confidence to persevere in line with ‘The Melton Way’.
- All children at Melton will develop a confidence for risk-taking in order to self-reflect and learn from their experiences.
- We will encourage children to be team-players whilst co-operating and collaborating with others.
- Children will develop a curious and innovative nature when solving problems.
- Our children are taught to use these skills and apply them in preparation for the constantly evolving technological world.
- Design Technology will inspire children to think about potential future careers in the Design technology world.
- Years 1 and 2 developed their designing, making and evaluating skills when creating moving vehicles. Each child made a design plan for their vehicle whilst recognising the criteria they would need to follow to make a useful product. This linked well to their ‘Travel’ topic.
- Years 3 and 4 enjoyed designing an earthquake proof building. This links well to their topic of ‘Natural Hazards’.
- In Years 5 and 6 when exploring their ‘Ancient Greece’ topic the children prepared a Greek salad. They developed their cutting skills and evaluated ingredients. In their ‘Space’ topic the children developed a cam device.